On Tuesday 02 June 2009 15:00:23 Edward Miller wrote:
> I see now that the last atom COOT reads in is atom number 99999.
>

> Perhaps, I fear, this is a problem with the PDB format - that the column
> width for atom numbers can not accommodate more than 99999 atoms.
>
> Ed

Yes. This is one of many limitations of the PDB format.
We've had this discussion before, and the rational option (abandon it
in favor of something better) has been nixed by the Powers That Be.

Note that the current PDB standard
 http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/format32/sect9.html
states
 "If a collection contains more than 99,999 total atoms,
  then more than one entry must be made"

And, in fact, the PDB splits such large models into more than one
PDB file upon deposition if you haven't already done so before hand.

Nevertheless, many [most?] programs deal happily with this nonsense by
ignoring the sequence field altogether.  What earthly good does it do
you to know what was the seqeunce number for atom NZ of Lys Z34 in
a particular version of your model, given that it was almost certainly
different after being processed by the next program used in the course
of refinement or model-fitting.

The situation is somewhat different for non-protein atoms, since the
sequence number is used by the CONECT records.

So I'll make a modest proposal to give all protein atoms sequence
number 1, at leave the other 99,998 available integers for ligands :-)

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center