At the moment refmac does extremely simple selection. First structure factor label and the first sigma that has similar name to the first structure factor, if not then the first sigma. It works for a class of cases but it cannot be universal. While we are on this matter I think it would be good to not mix input mtz and output mtz from refinement. They may have completely different meaning. I.e. for refinement always original mtz after scala/truncate with correct space group assigned should be used. Structure factors in the output mtz may have been modified by the programs and these modifications are based on some assumptions that may or may not be correct at the time of that program processing that dataset. As information changes (e.g. better model) modification may also change.

i hope I did not add more confusion.
Garib