On 06/08/12 18:56, Pernigo, Stefano wrote:
Problem solved!!
After installing the coot you suggested me I've tried to auto open the MTZ file
both in a new account and in the mine old one.
I've noticed that in the new one coot was running without problem while in mine
was stuck after opening the MTZ files (but it was no longer giving the
following error: coot-real(244,0xa0b1c540) malloc: *** mmap(size=1140850688)
failed (error code=12)).
Looking in Edit->Map parameter->Map radius I've noticed that in the new account
the default parameter was 10 Å while in the old one was 100 Å. The huge map dimension
was the reason why coot was stuck.
Changing this parameter back to 10 Å coot allowed coot to work smoothy. I
cannot understand though why coot has such a different default parameter in the
two accounts.

There are a number of places it can be set:

In your ~/.coot ~/.coot.py ~/.coot-preferences/*.scm or .py $COOT_SCHEME_EXTRAS_DIR/*.scm $COOT_PYTHON_EXTRAS_DIR/*.py or 0-coot.state.scm or py files.

Anyway, I have not heard of a crash like this before and ideally it shouldn't happen. AFAICS the problem is at the Clipper/Coot interface. I'll discuss it with Kevin.