Here is the latest webrev for updating the zlib from the aged 1.1.3 to the latest version 1.2.3

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/zlib123/webrev

Alan, Kumar Martin, thanks for the comments, while I'm continuing running more tests:-) here are the
reply to your comments/questions.

(1) The ZLIB_VERSION has been moved into common/Defs.gmk.
(2) The copyright you quoted in the original copyright of zlib1.1.3 (it was there is jdk6 and earlier before we opensourced the jdk7). (3) Yes, I have run the regression tests in tools/pack200 and those in launcher, as well as other jar, zip related. (4) I just jprt-ed a full forest/control build including everything, it finished without any problem (5) So far the "large zip support" still holds on all platforms I tested on (Solaris sparc 32-bit/x86 32-bit, Linux x64 and Windows32-bit. (6)I would still prefer to get the source code from zlib.org. I took a quick scan at the ubuntu diff, don't see the value of replacing the one
   we have.
(7) The java port change log has been moved to
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/zlib123/webrev/src/share/native/java/util/zip/zlib-1.2.3/ChangeLog_java.html

Sherman