On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:46, Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>wrote:

> Martin Buchholz wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:10, Ulf Zibis <ulf.zi...@gmx.de <mailto:
>> ulf.zi...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>>    At least, IMO, fileSeparator() and pathSeparator() would belong to
>>    java.io.File or java.nio.file.FileSystem.
>> Those would have been better names,
>> but at this point they are not worth adding.
>>

> I don't follow - why are they not worth adding now?

Because java.io.File already provides the functionality users need.
Not in the best way - as fields instead of methods, and
only the first char of the system property.  But it's not broken enough
to be worth fixing by providing a slightly better API.
IMO, of course.

> Becuase they should have been in JDK 1.0? Because JDK 7 is about to
> release? Some other reason? How and who is deciding?

it's a hard problem, and one that Sun/JCP/OpenJDK still needs to address.
I guess right now folks are waiting for the Oracle acquisition.

Martin