I am responding on the StackOverflow thread. I will look into using
ThreadLocalRandom.

The random.next() is clearly a potential bottleneck but given that this happens
only once per HashMap instance it is still unclear why a reasonable application
would want to create hundreds or thousands of hash maps per second.

Mike