On 9/6/2013 10:20 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
Google is interested in using DUAL_MODE on Linux and would prefer that at least the code to support DUAL_MODE is not removed. I see that you are not removing DUAL_MODE, just disabling it for Solaris.

correct,  jdk8 will have the dual mode support.

I would prefer to see DUAL_MODE semi-supported with all OSes, and make support for DUAL_MODE a deployment time decision. If you don't create the 32-bit/64-bit overlays, then the -d32 and -d64 flags simply won't find the alternate set of binaries. Does anyone else in openjdk-land like the ability to use -d32 and -d64?

Right these flags would be ineffective without dual-mode support, as it was specifically
designed to support dual-mode.

I would like to see DUAL_MODE defined as follows, independent of OS:

#if defined(LIBARCH32NAME) && defined(LIBARCH64NAME)
#  define DUAL_MODE
#endif

Why do you need this implicit logic ? you can always define DUAL_MODE, as a make
define.

---

I'm unhappy that below you are undefing DUAL_MODE even if a user went out of their way to define it. You could more simply remove
#define DUAL_MODE

Why are you unhappy ? this is specific to solaris you are free to have
something else that suits your purposes.

  #ifdef __solaris__
-#  define DUAL_MODE
+#  ifdef DUAL_MODE
+#    undef DUAL_MODE