On 2014-03-18 02:19, Andrew Hughes wrote:
Do we need more than just the following three alternatives?

#1. No debugging information at all.
#2. Debugging information left in the original binaries.
#3. Debugging information stripped from the binaries and zipped in separate
files.

It sounds to me like Oracle want #3, while distros want #2 and I imagine some
end users may just want #1 for a faster, smaller build.

I'm completely thinking along your lines here. I think we should focus on the end result, not the specific implementations details. I've been thinking about exposing a configure option like this:

--with-debug-symbols=none (for #1)
--with-debug-symbols=internal (for #2)
--with-debug-symbols=zipped (for #3)

but perhaps with better names. I also imagine there might be a use case for yet another option,
#4. Debuggin information stripped from the binaries, but not zipped

expressed like this
--with-debug-symbols=external

And then this would be the only user interface needed, and the rest of the current set of not-really-clear flags can be hidden inside the configure script.

For compatibility reasons, the default would be --with-debug-symbols=zipped (which is called "FDS" here), just as we currently do, but distributions would just need to add a --with-debug-symbols=internal to get what they want.

/Magnus