On 18/03/2014 6:59 PM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
On 2014-03-18 02:19, Andrew Hughes wrote:
Do we need more than just the following three alternatives?

#1. No debugging information at all.
#2. Debugging information left in the original binaries.
#3. Debugging information stripped from the binaries and zipped in
separate files.

It sounds to me like Oracle want #3, while distros want #2 and I
imagine some
end users may just want #1 for a faster, smaller build.

I'm completely thinking along your lines here. I think we should focus
on the end result, not the specific implementations details. I've been
thinking about exposing a configure option like this:

--with-debug-symbols=none (for #1)
--with-debug-symbols=internal (for #2)
--with-debug-symbols=zipped (for #3)

I don't think this quite works as there are other variations not captured here. Rather than "zipped" it should just be "external". Whether the debuginfo files are zipped or not is then an additional build time option. Additionally we still have to be able to control the degree of stripping that is carried out. It doesn't make sense to me to try and enumerate all possible combinations as top-level configure options.

Further, as Dan was saying, this doesn't capture the overlap between "internal" and "external" because we still leave some symbols internal even when creating the debuginfo file.

So I don't think this proposed categorization works. We still have three aspects:
- generating symbols into the object files
- stripping symbols from the final binaries
- saving symbols into an external form

Each of which can potentally be varied (of course if you don't generate symbols in the obj files stripping and saving are non issues).

David
-----

but perhaps with better names. I also imagine there might be a use case
for yet another option,
#4. Debuggin information stripped from the binaries, but not zipped

expressed like this
--with-debug-symbols=external

And then this would be the only user interface needed, and the rest of
the current set of not-really-clear flags can be hidden inside the
configure script.

  For compatibility reasons, the default would be
--with-debug-symbols=zipped (which is called "FDS" here), just as we
currently do, but distributions would just need to add a
--with-debug-symbols=internal to get what they want.

/Magnus