----- Original Message -----
> On 2014-03-18 02:19, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> > Do we need more than just the following three alternatives?
> >
> > #1. No debugging information at all.
> > #2. Debugging information left in the original binaries.
> > #3. Debugging information stripped from the binaries and zipped in separate
> > files.
> >
> > It sounds to me like Oracle want #3, while distros want #2 and I imagine
> > some
> > end users may just want #1 for a faster, smaller build.
>
> I'm completely thinking along your lines here. I think we should focus
> on the end result, not the specific implementations details. I've been
> thinking about exposing a configure option like this:
>
> --with-debug-symbols=none (for #1)
> --with-debug-symbols=internal (for #2)
> --with-debug-symbols=zipped (for #3)
>
> but perhaps with better names. I also imagine there might be a use case
> for yet another option,
> #4. Debuggin information stripped from the binaries, but not zipped
>
> expressed like this
> --with-debug-symbols=external
>
> And then this would be the only user interface needed, and the rest of
> the current set of not-really-clear flags can be hidden inside the
> configure script.
>
>   For compatibility reasons, the default would be
> --with-debug-symbols=zipped (which is called "FDS" here), just as we
> currently do, but distributions would just need to add a
> --with-debug-symbols=internal to get what they want.
>
> /Magnus

That sounds perfect. We already have to change numerous defaults; one more
isn't an issue.

The problem at the moment is that, at least in 7, I've had to patch the
Makefiles
to get what we want (i.e. making STRIP_POLICY=no_strip not create duplicate
debuginfo in zipped debuginfo files) and that should be avoided if possible.
--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07