I don't understand that original assessment.
Switching to XAWT had no impact on this code except to make it pointless.
i.e it did not prevent its execution.

I doubt there is any code left in the JDK that will derive any
benefit from it still being there. All CDE/Motif & Xt related code is gone.
This should have been removed along with it but was doubtless not
in plain sight to whoever did that.

So unless I am missing something you could go further and just delete it.

-phil.