On 29 September 2015 at 21:01, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:
> The concern i have is once Preconditions is let loose the scope expands with
> proposals for “just one more method” (there is even the opportunity to bike
> shed over the names checkNotNull or requiresNotNull etc. etc.)  I don’t want
> to discuss such additional methods right now otherwise i will never make
> progress with the current set.
>
> A way forward is to initially include Preconditions with *only* the check
> index methods, and in subsequent proposals selectively add more. At the
> moment i am still leaning towards Objects.

As you say, there is lots to discuss:
- the class name
- any IllegalStateException methods? Or two classes, one for args and
one for state?
- design for static import or not
- message formatting
- complete messages, or ones where only the argument name is specified
- nonNull() vs notNull()
- IllegalArgException vs NPE for notNull

The first three points are key and set the tone of the class, As such,
it is hard to just create it. (For example Guava Preconditions is
stylistically different to Commons Validate or OpenGamma ArgChecker)

If you need to move on, then add the methods to Objects, and see if
separately agreement can be got on a new class, potentially moving the
methods before 9 is released.

Stephen