FWIW I agree - it's just weird to have the behavior change after the fact like that.

On 10/26/2015 11:37 PM, Xueming Shen wrote:
Hi Steve,

I know I stared to sound like a broken record :-) But I would like to
suggest the team one more
time to reconsider the current decision of using the "set" methods to
change the configuration
setting/status of an existing JarFile to enable the multi-version support.

public JarFile setVersioned(int version);
public JarFile setRuntimeVersioned();

The main concern here is the current approach basically transfers the
JarFile from a read-only/
immutable object with consistent behavior (to entry inquiry) to a
mutable container of entries
with possibility of inconsistent behavior. The newly introduced
setVersioned/setRuntimeVersioned
really have no way to guarantee A expected result from the updated
version-enabled getEntry()
method, as someone else might set an unexpected different "version"
between your setting and
getting, or even worse, in the middle of your entries() invocation, for
example, in which you get
part of your entries to version N and the rest to version M.

So It might be desired to have the "versioned support" enabled in the
constructor, so once you
get that version enabled JarFile, it stays that way for its lifetime
with consistent result for the
entry inquiry, as the current API does.

I do realize that there might be use case that the getEntry invoker
might not have the access to
the creation of the corresponding jar file (such as the use scenario in
that JarURLConnection?), so
you can't create a version-enabled JarFile at the very beginning via the
constructor. But doesn't
this also make my concern more real. If you don't have the control of
the lifetime of that JarFile,
you don't really have the control of who is setting or going to set the
version of that mutable JarFile,
right?

An alternative might be to have change the
setVersioned/setRuntimeVersioned() to

public jarFile getVersioned(int version);
public jarFile getRuntimeVersioned();

to return a new copy of the existing JarFile with the desired verisoning
support. Yes, it might be
too heavy from performance perspective :-) and we might have to do some
tricky stuff (it would
be easier if ZipJarFile is interface ...) to have a light wrapper class
to delegate everything to the
real one.

That said, I'm fine to be told "the pros and cons were considered,  and
this is the best for the
supported use scenario":-) In that case, it might deserve some wording
in the spec notes to
prepare the developer the possible unexpected.

Thanks,
Sherman