Hi Steve,

I don’t think we need to cache versioned entries (as we discussed a while
back). For class loading it’s likely to increase memory costs without any
performance benefit (if anything a performance decrease). It’s easy to add back
later on if we have data that suggests otherwise.

We can reduce the search space for searching for versioned entries by setting
the lower bound of the base version to one minus the first Java major release
that has runtime support for multi-release jar files i.e. 8 as it currently
stands.

 312      * @throws IllegalStateException if called after an entry has been read

  … after an entry has been obtained (see ….)

You might need some further clarification in setVersioned/setRuntimeVersioned
itself describing the lifecycle e.g.

  this method may be called one or more times after construction and before the
first operation that obtains an entry,
  after which the jar file configuration’s is considered immutable, and
subsequent calls to this method will result in an ISE.

Paul.