> On Nov 3, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Wang Weijun <weijun.w...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Curious that you added a new method called
> jarFile.getRuntimeVersionedEntry(entryName).

It’s new to JarFile, but not new to the changeset, it’s been in there since the
reviews started.

> Is this the *only* method you would call for a multi-release jar?

No, it’s a method we had to add to support runtime versioning for the
Class.getResource() method.  We either had to set runtime versioning for all
JarFiles obtained from a JarURLConnection or set it specifically for a resource
entry retrieved by the Class.getResource() method, that uses a
JarURLConnection.  It’s a rather convoluted path through the system, but it you
follow it, you’ll see what we did and how — look at the changes for
JarURLConnection.  It’s a rather specialized method that I wish could be
private, but it can’t be.  Having said that, someone might find a use for it.

It’s equivalent to JarFile.setRuntimeVersioned().getJarEntry(), but it doesn’t
set a permanent versioning strategy for the JarFile.  See
MultiReleaseJarProperties testRuntimeVersioning test.

> If so, is it still necessary to modify the old getEntry() method?

Yes, for general entry retrieval as well as for loading classes.