On 16/03/2017 3:06 PM, Timo Kinnunen wrote:
Hi,

Yes, indeed it does. I find it intriguing that finalization as currently
specified is so unsuited for managing the one native resource that from
a Java programmers point-of-view the JVM is managing perfectly. This
resource being of course not memory, but thread handles.

I'm afraid you've lost me. Threads have a very clear and well-defined lifecycle and so are trivially managed. Finalization was never intended to manage threads as they don't need managing.

David
-----

I think by using a cleanup thread pinned to the same processor as the
thread about to exit it would be possible to make it seem like the
thread was cleaning up after it has exited, but this point isn’t really
important.

I now realize that “this resource will be finalized by the Thread from
which it was last reachable” is too strong for what I had in mind. I
should have said something more along the lines of “this resource will
be finalized before the Thread from which it was last reachable or other
Threads after it fail to acquire a new one”. The operative words
“before” and “after” and no mention of synchronization making it a
per-processor core rather than a per-thread function.

As for what comes after, I’d like to propose that any proposed
alternative to finalization be evaluated for both improvements in
functionality and ease of use of its interface. Specifically, compared
to finalization the alternative should show the same level of improved
functionality as GC in Java 8 shows compared to GC of Java 1.0.
Similarly, its ease of use should not be significantly worse than what
the ease of use of GC in Java 8 is compared to what using GC in Java 1.0
was. This sets a high bar, perhaps, but as Java 8 demonstrates it’s a
bar that’s attainable.

Windows 10