From: David Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 00:57
To: Timo Kinnunen; Andrew Haley; Hans Boehm; Uwe Schindler
Cc: core-libs-dev
Subject: Re: RFR 9: 8165641 : Deprecate Object.finalize

On 15/03/2017 12:01 AM, Timo Kinnunen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> File handles aren’t that scarce of a resource, really, at least on Windows.
> On Windows threads are a lot scarcer resource than file handles, and I don’t
> recall anyone suggesting Java’s GC wasn’t suitable for managing that limited
> but crucially important resource. The question should then be, what makes
> threads so much easier to manage than file handles and how can we make file
> handles be more like threads?

Native thread resources are directly tied to the lifetime of the thread.
Once it reaches the end of execution then all native resources with it
are reclaimed. It's lifecycle is very specific and well-defined and not
related directly to any other entity in the system. Comparing threads to
GC managed objects, or file handles, is trying to compare completely
disparate things.

David
-----