On 15/03/2017 8:21 PM, Timo Kinnunen wrote:
Hi,

If we are to come up with a good alternative to finalization, having to
compare disparate things seems unavoidable. Comparing threads and
Threads, suppose there’s a subclass of Thread which holds a native
resource that’s not reachable from any other Thread and it has a
finalize method. Let’s say this Thread’s resource is a handle to its own
native thread and the finalize method calls CloseHandle on the handle
and ExitThread to signal an A-OK exit code. The thread will not be
removed from the system while the handle remains open. Could this
Thread’s thread invoke its own finalize method once it’s done or would
it have to wait for the Finalizer to call it instead, and if so, /why?/

ExitThread applies to the current thread, which means it would terminate the finalization thread.

The java.lang.Thread object can not be GC'd before the native thread has terminated from the VMs perspective (which is earlier than when the thread terminates from the OS perspective). Once it has terminated the finalizer may run and do whatever it does - it has no affect on the native thread from the VMs perspective.

Being able to say “this resource will be finalized by the Thread from
which it was last reachable” would be quite useful for this case and
augment the current finalization without having to replace it.

For a thread to claim ownership of a resource such that the thread would be responsible for "finalizing" that resource, you would have to implement a reliable means to ensure the resource can only be transferred amongst threads and never actually shared. But yes this would be another form of thread-centric resource management if a means were provided to register such resources with the thread and to clean them up as part of thread termination. Of course you can implement a simple/crude form of this directly in a custom thread class.

David
-----

Windows 10