Using a boolean flag is reasonable, but there are micro-defects here as
well:
- There's a dead initial store to deadline just to appease the definite
assignment algorithm.
- the scope of deadline and remaining leaks into the post-wait-loop code,
and it would be ugly to introduce a new scope explicitly
- if you wait, you will call System.nanoTime() one more time than
necessary.  A high quality wait loop only ever calls nanoTime just before
waiting.