On 11/29/17 4:37 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 29/11/2017 11:26, David Holmes wrote:

The current approach basically prevents anyone using JVMCI from shooting themselves in the foot by setting --limit-modules in a way that excludes the jdk.internal.vm.compiler module. In essence we want to ensure that if using JVMCI then all the requisite pieces will be available. But perhaps we are doing this the wrong way: how do --limit-modules and --add-modules combine? We could add jdk.internal.vm.compiler rather than expanding the limit-set. But the end result would seem the same.
The VM shouldn't augment the value specified to --limit-modules so I think we need to do back to the original issue and find a better solution. Is JDK-8190975 the real issue that we should be looking at? Is it just the two tests listed? In the case of BootAppendTests then it can check if the module is observable before specifying it to --limit-modules when creating the child VM. WithSecurityManager might need additional work or maybe it can drop the use of --limit-modules.

I agree that augmenting --limit-modules doesn't seem the right solution here.

Would @modules jdk.internal.vm.compiler be a temporary workaround so that this test will not run on SPARC where the module is not present?

Mandy