Vladimir and I discussed this offline. java --limit-modules should have the same set of observable modules as running on an image that is created with jlink.  When running with -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler on a runtime image with just java.base, it will fail in the same way as running with java --limit-modules java.base -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler. These tests are written to run on a runtime image with java.base only should be updated to get it run with -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler.  I will take a look and see how we can refactor the tests to support such testing configuration.   In the meantime, Vladimir suggests to exclude these tests when running with -XX:+UseJVMCICompiler (specifying @requires).

Mandy