On 11/05/2018 17:09, mandy chung wrote:

It could but leave it as is.  I found that this change breaks the hack that uses reflection to change a static final field by changing the private modifiers field in the Field object. That is a terrible hack but I think it's better to separate this incompatibility from this issue.  I modified the fix to change the modifiers of the root and child field object be the same.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk11/webrevs/8202113/webrev.02/

Code using this hack should be seeing "Illegal reflective access" warnings today and it will eventually break. However, in the mean-time, I think what you have looks good.

-Alan