In fact, why is setting user.name and user.home always evil? If I only want to
set them on the command line so that a special "user environment" is used, why
is it a problem?

In fact, we have a test setting user.home to an empty directory to avoid
unexpected result because we cannot control the test runner's home directory.

Thanks
Max