On 17/08/2018 1:18 AM, mandy chung wrote:

On 8/15/18 11:00 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Mandy,

Not a review - sorry :)

On 16/08/2018 7:46 AM, mandy chung wrote:
ExceptionInInitializerError(Throwable cause) sets the detail message to null.  It'd be helpful to include a detail message rather than null
as in Throwable(Throwable cause) that constructs a new throwable
with a default message cause==null ? null : cause.toString().

This would help troubleshooting of writing new bootstrap methods
where VM currently asserts non-null linkage error message [1] where
there are other solutions such as constructing the message in
the VM or removing the assert.

I think that's just a bug in the VM code making inappropriate assumptions! There shouldn't have to be a detail message, especially in a wrapping exception like ExceptionInInitializerError! It only gets thrown because some other exception was thrown, there's really no more detail for the EIIE itself. Promoting the cause's detail message to be the detail message of the EIIE just seems wrong to me.

I think even VM removes the assert, I don't see how EIIE includes
the detail message is wrong?  It's consistent with the
Throwable(Throwable cause) constructor.

I think it is wrong because the message is not that of the EIIE but that of the original exception.

If EIIE must have a detail message then that should just be something explicit like:

Caused by <cause exception type> : <cause detail message>

Unlike general Throwables that may or may not have a cause, a true EIIE must always have a cause when thrown by the JVM.

David
-----

Did this come about through the new code that saves the original cause of the EIIE so that it can be reported when the subsequent NoClassDefFoundError is thrown due to the class being in the erroneous state? (I don't recall if that actually got pushed.)

I am not sure but I don't think so.  I ran into this when I develop
the bootstrap methods.  I think this is a good EIIE clean up.

Mandy