On 08/17/2018 01:54 AM, mandy chung wrote:

On 8/16/18 4:48 PM, joe darcy wrote:
Just a question. Why does "private Throwable exception" field in ExceptionInInitializerError exist? Was it there before there was a "cause" in Throwable and later still remained there because of serialization format? Would it be possible to "simulate" its effect for serialization using "serialPersistentFields" and ObjectOutputStream.PutField?

Thanks for asking.  I meant to mention this and it'd be nice to
follow up this in a separate issue.

The private exception field exists since 1.1 and kept there for
serialization.  getException in existing releases returns the
exception field.  I can't think of any way to remove the exception
field in JDK n to deserialize it with older JDK x unless JDK x was
changed to write the exception field with the cause or getException
to return cause.

Just a quick comment, it is possible, although a bit tedious, to remove a field and retain serial compatibility if readObject/writeObject methods are added to the new version of the class. There are a few examples of doing this kind of conversion in the JDK, such as for BigInteger.

Thanks Joe.  In EIIE case, ideally we should remove the private
exception field and then write that to the serialize stream.
However, PutField::put requires the field to be present in
the current class; otherwise it throws IAE.

   ObjectOutputStream.PutField fields = s.putFields();
   fields.put("exception", getCause());

Not necessarily. Check ConcurrentHashMap for example. It contains several "pseudo" fields, declared with the "serialPersistentFields" static final field.

The only problem with this approach is that while deserializing the Throwable part of the ExceptionInInitializerError from the serial stream produced by an old version of EIIE, the cause field will already be deserialized as null and later in ExceptionInInitializerError.readObject when "exception" pseudo field is read-in, its value would have to be written over Throwable.cause field, but public API will not allow that (re-initialization of cause is not permitted), so some package-private API would have to be used to overwrite "cause".

But this same problem is present even if you keep the physical "exception" field in the ExceptionInInitializerError. You have to be prepared to deserialize an old version of EIIE where the "cause" is null and the "exception" is non-null.

Regards, Peter

I haven't digged the history but I assume a field in BigInteger
was not renamed/removed.

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Mandy