Hi Peter, Jason, Joe,

Thanks for the pointers.  I have missed the use of
serialPersistentFields (thanks to Peter for calling this out).  I read
the javadoc and serialization spec but that didn't come clearly to me.
It'd be good to include an example in the javadoc (will file a JBS issue).

W.r.t. the package-private API to set the cause in EIIE [1], yes it's
needed and it's done in webrev.01.  Let me redo the
readObject/writeObject part and send a new webrev.

Mandy
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk12/webrevs/8209553/webrev.01/src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Throwable.java.sdiff.html