Hi Pavel

Wow, I find this awesome. I don't have a Windows machine to play with,
but I think I may have found something.
The difference is how Java_sun_nio_ch_Net_poll is implemented. On unix
it uses poll(2), on Windows it uses select(2). Regarding timeouts,
poll() has "wait at least" semantics and overruns by design[1], while
select() on windows has "waits at most" semantics, or how they put
it[2]: "specifies the maximum time that select should wait before
returning.". It returns early by design! Is this a known thing? I
don't think there is much one can do here. It probably makes no sense
to loop it and wait for time remainder.
Java's soTimeout does not specify[3] should it wait at least or at
most the specified timeout, so it's fine I guess. Old, "plain" socket
impl are not much different.

If the above is correct, should I just add a tolerance for the lower bound?

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/poll.2.html
[2]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winsock2/nf-winsock2-select
[3]