On 5/22/20 5:12 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

> I am not terribly familiar with the AArch64 code, but I would note
> the Vector API comes with a bunch of unit tests should exercise the
> code gen, just not as directly as I presume you would like.

Yes, you've understood me: direct is what I want. The assembler tests
are intended to make sure we generate exactly the right instructions,
rather than having something painfully hard to debug later on. When a
patch adds a lot of instructions to the assembler, that IMO is the
right time to test that they generate correctly-encoded
instructions. But yes, that can go into a follow-up patch, as long as
it gets done fairly shortly.

> To what extent do you feel we can follow up with additional issues
> and fix them after the initial integration?

We can do that. Note that after this patch, aarch64.ad is 21762 lines
long. I know we don't have any hard-and-fast rule about this, but I'd
rather it didn't get forgotten. Maybe I should do that one myself, but
I guess I'd rather avoid the problem of version skew between the
Panama repo and mainline. That'd make merging rather grim.

Yang, against which repo is this webrev intended to be applied?

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer