On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:55:18 GMT, Nick Gasson <ngas...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Adding prefetches was one of the reasons to introduce the separate stub for
> long strings, see the mail below:
>
> https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-compiler-dev/2018-April/028888.html

Thank you for pointing this out, we didn't find that adding prefetches was one
of the reasons for that optimization before.

> Did you find there's no benefit to that?

In fact, at first we tested and found that adding prefetch would make it worse
in some cases, so we removed prefetch in the LDP version, but after more
testing, we found that prefetch is not the cause of the performance
degradation. Sorry for this, please ignore the prefetch problem,  I will add
prefetch back next.

> We don't really want to have different implementations for each
> microarchitecture, that would be a testing nightmare.

I aggree. This is the compromise solution that the optimization has no effect
(or even slowdown) on some platforms.
In addition, I found that in
[JDK-8202326](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8202326), adding
prefetches is only for long strings (the rare cases), maybe we can further
optimize longs string with LDP. So should I continue this optimization or close
it.