On 7/30/21 7:49 AM, Wu Yan wrote:

> I aggree. This is the compromise solution that the optimization
> has no effect (or even slowdown) on some platforms.
> In addition, I found that in
> [JDK-8202326](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8202326),
> adding prefetches is only for long strings (the rare cases),
> maybe we can further optimize longs string with LDP. So should
> I continue this optimization or close it.

IMO, we don't want to be using the vector unit unless it does
some good, and if you can do this sort of thing in the CPU core
you should, so I like that. I was (still am) tempted to approve
it, but Nick says there are still bugs in corner cases.

I think you should probably close it. Comparison of really long
Strings is so rare that I can't find any examples of where it
actually happens. Array comparisons, sure, but Strings, not so
much.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer