On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:18:10 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Stuart Marks has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Minor adjustments
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Thread.java line 70:
>
>> 68:  * The newly started thread invokes the task's {@link Runnable#run()
>> run} method.
>> 69:  *
>> method completes
>
> I don't think the update in 9796557d works. It switches to talking about the
> termination of platform threads before we've introduced what a platform
> thread is. It also switches to talking about the Thread.run method when the
> focus in the previous paragraph has been the the task that the thread
> executes. If we really need this here then the second paragraph will need to
> explain that it is also possible to extend Thread and override the run method.

I don't think we need to distinguish between platform and virtual threads here
at all. Isn't it the case that virtual threads also have a run() method and
they too terminate when run() completes as described (together with UEH)? The
fact most Thread run() methods call something else's run() method is
immaterial. We don't know what a run() method will do, but whatever it is once
it completes then the thread has terminated.