On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:21:57 GMT, Adam Sotona <asot...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Marked as reviewed by asotona (Committer).
>
>> @asotona So should I simply throw an `IllegalAccessError` when the Lookup
>> encounters a `IllegalAccessException`, or should I return null? I favor
>> throwing an `IllegalAccessError` as the lookup represents bytecode
>> accessibility, and shall it fail to access, the generated bytecode will fail
>> to access the specified superclass as well.
>
> Yes, I also prefer throwing `IllegalAccessError` to directly indicate what is
> wrong instead of later indirect exceptions. I think `IllegalAccessError` is
> not a case for fallback resolver, so it should not be masked.

> @asotona Just curious, what's the current state of our new API model of
> caching class hierarchy info in a Classfile context object as we've discussed
> on the mailing list? Will you create a patch, or should I update this patch
> to that model?

In the discussion I tried to fine-tune exact naming of the factory methods and
the default. Mainly to differentiate when the class is parsed as a resource
`ofResourceParsing(ClassLoader loader)` and  when it is loaded
`ofClassLoading(ClassLoader loader)`

Otherwise this patch looks good.

The other part of the discussion with proposed `ClassfileReaderWriter` model is
out of the scope of this topic, it has much bigger impact on all existing code
and I would deferred it at least until this and other open PRs are merged.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13082#issuecomment-1523118391