On Fri, 5 May 2023 13:08:33 GMT, Chen Liang <li...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Also, perhaps @PaulSandoz knows more history on this one (I believe this
>> code predates FFM).
>
> Eh? I am not sure what you mean here. This is the essence of the patch, where
> the "TODO" above is fixed: lookup.findStaticVarHandle now creates lazy
> varhandle if the defining class of the field is not initialized.
>
> The fixing of IndirectVarHandle.isAccessModeSupported is a side effect,
> because the override of `getMethodHandle` in `IndirectVarHandle` appears to
> me as a no-op; turns out it exists due to NPE in isAccessModeSupported, which
> IMO should be fixed as it's a public API.

> This seems unrelated to the issue this PR is really about (if I understand
> correctly). Would it make sense to address this as part of another PR?

Actually I realize I was confused as I came to this PR looking at this:
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8307508
And not realizing that this PR is about initialization (and, as a side-fix, it
also addresses the access mode issue). I will leave to you whether to split or
not.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#discussion_r1186077002