On Wed, 17 May 2023 17:20:37 GMT, Chen Liang <li...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> A few implementation-detail methods in VarHandle are now documented with the
>> implied constraints to avoid subtle problems in the future. Changed
>> `IndirectVarHandle` to call `asDirect` lazily to accomodate the lazy
>> VarHandle changes. Also changed VarHandleBaseTest to report the whole
>> incorrect type of exception caught than swallow it and leaving only a
>> message.
>>
>> Current problems:
>> - [ ] The lazy var handle is quite slow on the first invocation.
>>    - As seen in the benchmark, users can first call
>> `Lookup::ensureInitialized` to create an eager handle.
>>    - After that, the lazy handle has a performance on par with the regular
>> var handle.
>> - [ ] The class-loading-based test is not in a unit test
>>    - The test frameworks don't seem to offer fine-grained control for
>> class-loading detection or reliable unloading
>>

>> Benchmark                                            Mode  Cnt       Score
>>      Error  Units
>> VarHandleLazyStaticInvocation.initializedInvocation  avgt   30       0.769 ±
>>      0.003  ns/op
>> VarHandleLazyStaticInvocation.lazyInvocation         avgt   30       0.767 ±
>>      0.002  ns/op
>>

>> Benchmark                                            Mode  Cnt       Score
>>      Error  Units
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleCreateEager            ss   10   73140.100 ±
>>   7735.276  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleCreateLazy             ss   10   50000.000 ±
>>   8482.883  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleInitializeCallEager    ss   10   91350.100 ±
>>   9776.343  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleInitializeCallLazy     ss   10  145540.200 ±
>>  72894.865  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleCreateEager               ss   10   47069.900 ±
>>   3513.909  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleCreateLazy                ss   10   24780.300 ±
>>   5144.540  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleInitializeCallEager       ss   10   85479.700 ±
>>  10816.983  ns/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleInitializeCallLazy        ss   10  413630.100 ±
>> 189370.448  ns/op
>
> Chen Liang has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge
> or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in
> by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains eight additional commits since
> the last revision:
>
>  - Remove export for removed package
>  - Merge branch 'master' into lazy-static-varhandle
>  - Test the creation performance of handles, lazy one indeed better
>  - Merge branch 'master' into lazy-static-varhandle
>  - copyright year
>  - Benchmarks. lazy initialize is SLOW
>  - nuke meaningless overrides
>  - make static field var handles lazy and fix NPE in isAccessModeSupported

I think the exact argument for `withInvokeExactBehavior` and
`withInvokeBehavior` is swapped.

I studied the patch and it seems a clever idea.   I will do another pass to
check if `VarHandle::asDirect` is only invoked when the var handle is doing
field access.

As for the implementation of `LazyStaticVarHandle`, I expect that
`makeFieldHandle` can always create the direct var handle (i.e.
`FieldStaticReadXXX` var handle) and then wrapped by `LazyStaticVarHandle`
similar to how `IndirectVarHandle` does; something like this:

    LazyStaticVarHandle(VarHandle target, Class<?> refc, boolean exact) {
        super(target.vform, exact);
        this.target = target;
        this.refc = refc;
    }

Some overridden methods for example `describeConstable` can simply retrun
`target.describeConstable()`.   Do I miss some issue that it can't be
implemented that way?

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/invoke/LazyStaticVarHandle.java line 126:

> 124:         var delegate = this.delegate;
> 125:         return delegate == null ? (hasInvokeExactBehavior() ? this
> 126:                 : new LazyStaticVarHandle(refc, field,
> writeAllowedOnFinalFields, false))

Suggestion:

                : new LazyStaticVarHandle(refc, field,
writeAllowedOnFinalFields, true))

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/invoke/LazyStaticVarHandle.java line 134:

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#pullrequestreview-1456188245
PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#issuecomment-1572667645
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#discussion_r1213602428
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#discussion_r1213602313