On Fri, 19 May 2023 22:43:56 GMT, Paul Sandoz <psan...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This look much better. Can we strengthen the specification of
> `canonicalLayouts` in accordance with the class specification

We can't do more in that method javadoc,  think, as that has to be general
enough for all linkers. I think the rules set up in that method javadoc are
good - e.g. the set of layouts should be stable (both in terms of names and
layout types).

What we can do is to sprinkle some wording in the `nativeLinker` factory - e.g.
`the native linker is guaranteed to provide canonical layouts for basic C types
<link to the class section>`.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14037#issuecomment-1555354443