On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 11:25:32 GMT, 温绍锦 <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> 温绍锦 has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit
>> since the last revision:
>>
>>   use ISO_8859_1.INSTANCE directly instead of StandardCharsets.ISO_8859_1
>
>> I'm looking through
>> [[6b61a71](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/6b61a715caeeb586d5480a3a70f90bd1811d1335)],
>>  update 24.
>>
>> Moving fastUUID out of Long is good.
>>
>> UUID::toString can use StandardCharsets. ISO_8859_1, no need to use
>> sun.nio.cs code here.
>>
>> The list of imports in java.util.UUID is a bit messy now, can you clean this
>> up.
>>
>> It's confusing to have java.util.HexDigits and jdk.internal.util.HexDigits.
>> It also creates an inconsistency with DecimalDigits and OctalDigits as the
>> latter encapsulate their arrays. I assume you've done this to allow sharing
>> of the 256 element array. I don't object to move the array to a supporting
>> class but it needs to be renamed and the class description replaced as it is
>> not a Digits implementation. Adding a private constructor would help make it
>> clear that it should not be instantiated.
>
> very good suggestion, i have modified it according to your suggestion.

> @wenshao - adding a jdk.internal.digits package for this tiny class is
> overkill. For this PR, the simplest thing is to revert the changes to
> HexDigit, remove jdk.internal.digits.Hex256 and just put a small holder class
> in UUID for use by UUID.toString. That would be my preference to avoid
> splitting up HexDigits and creating inconsistencies in code used for string
> templates.

Wenshao hopes to use this array for other optimizations in `java.lang` in the
future.

But as for this PR, I suggest wenshao not to do so much. I suggest moving
`DIGITS` back to `HexDigits` first to make the modifications in this PR
smaller. Reducing modifications helps with faster review.

When you need to optimize the classes in `java.lang`, we will continue to
discuss how to share these arrays more safely and efficiently.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14578#issuecomment-1609857054