On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:53:45 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Can I please get a review of this change which proposes to address
> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8233160?
>
> It has been noted in https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8232753 that:
>
>> The java.vendor.url.bug property has been defined by every Sun/Oracle JDK
>> going all the way back to JDK 5 (and possibly earlier; JDK 5 is the oldest
>> release that I can still run on my development machine). Yet, it's never
>> been specified.
>
> The OpenJDK builds too by default set a value for this system property.
>
> The commit in this PR updates the javadoc of `System.getProperties()` to
> include this system property in the list of specified properties.
> Additionally, the `test/jdk/java/lang/System/PropertyTest.java` test has been
> updated to verify that this property is indeed available in the Properties
> returned by `System.getProperites()`.
>
> I'll create a CSR shortly for this change.

Hello Alan,

> I just wonder if it should be optional (like java.vendor.version),

I am unsure too. I decided to go with non-optional for now to match with the
`java.vendor.url` system property which too is non-optional.

> and whether the value must be parsable as a URL. The question on whether the
> value can be interpreted as a URL applies to the exiting java.vendor.url
> property too.

My understanding is that these URLs are there mainly to be visible in log files
or other such places and not for programatic parsing/construction. Especially
for `java.vendor.url.bug`, I think it would be a rare thing to have it being
parsed into URL programatically. So it may not be useful to add the restriction
that this must be a parsable URL.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15504#issuecomment-1700650920