On 06/09/2023 16:17, Volker Simonis wrote:
:
I'm familiar with JEP 260. But wouldn't you agree that an
"encapsulated" monitoring API is an oxymoron? A monitoring API is by
design intended for external usage and completely useless to the
platform itself. There's no single usage of the "sun.management"
MBeans in the JDK itself (except for jconsole where the encapsulation
broke it). My assumption is that the corresponding MBeans in
"sun.management" are there for historic reasons (added in JDK 1.5) and
would have made much more sense in "com.sun.management" package. But I
doubt that they can be classified in the "internal implementation
details of the JDK and never intended for external useĀ² category of
JEP 260.
It's left over from experiments on exposing some internal metrics, I think during JDK 5. It's code that should probably have been removed a long time ago.

-Alan