I’m not sure hacking the .DS_Store file would be Apple supported.

Is install4j still actively supporting this or is this something they used to
do?

What happens if they stop?

The result of my bug report included the icons being resized to fit better with
multiple files.

I think Alexander’s layout is alright. I just sort of preferred mine which I
remember as somewhat different.

Changing the background image is I believe supported by jpackage. I think I saw
this mentioned somewhere on a verbose run?

I used Gimp to change the coloring of the javafx SceneBuilder application dmg
background to better match the application icon. It didn’t generate any
interest on their dev list but I thought it looked sort of nice. A little more
customized to the app.

You could also hack your own version of the jpackage  dmg build. I did for
testing. Then modify the AppleScript to do whatever you want. I could see if I
could dig up what I used. I’m not sure if any of it would violate openjdk
intellectual property.