On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:44:48 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> As of [JDK-8325880](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8325880), building
>> the JDK requires version 17 of IBM Open XL C/C++ (xlc). This is in effect
>> clang by another name, and it uses the clang toolchain in the JDK build.
>> Thus the old xlc toolchain is no longer supported, and should be removed.
>
> Magnus Ihse Bursie has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Revert SEARCH_PATH changes

make/autoconf/toolchain.m4 line 444:

> 442:   COMPILER_NAME=$2
> 443:   SEARCH_LIST="$3"
> 444:   SEARCH_PATH="$PATH"

I am note 100% sure about this; I think the intention of some of the old code
amounted to this, but it was not entirely clear.

But, then again, I think this is a good idea, and I think we should do this on
*all* platforms -- search the toolchain path before the normal path.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18172#discussion_r1517884839