On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:30:20 GMT, Julian Waters <jwat...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Is Open XL C/C++ considered a compiler or more akin to a development
> environment like Xcode is for macOS? Depending on which, we could just say
> clang is the compiler for AIX without needing to say that Open XL is treated
> like clang, etc

You are raising a good point. Our current concept of "toolchain" is not working
as smoothly as it should be. We should probably split it into "toolchain
environment" (or whatever), like Xcode or Open XL, and "toolchain compiler"
(like clang), and/or possibly also some concept of "toolchain sdk".

The work you are doing of untangling Windows from Visual Studio would probably
influence such a redesign, seeing what part of the Windows adaptions which
arise from cl, and which are constant given that you compile for windows (like
the Windows SDK).

But this is a more architectural issue that will need to be resolved in another
PR, and probably discussed quite a bit beforehand.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18172#discussion_r1521637464