Hello @suchismith1993,

> Usually there is not such pure .a files that comes packaged with the OS. They
> are provided by some applications. So i am not sure how i can make the tests
> consistent for such cases.
> Do you have any suggestions here ?

Within the JDK repo, some tests require test specific native libraries (like in
your case here). It appears that the JDK build infrastructure has ability to
compile native code (`foo.c` for example) into a native library. However that
build infrastructure doesn't appear to be flexible enough to support the case
where you would have to run AIX specific commands to generate a `.a` file. So
the approach of generating a test specific `.a` file doesn't look promising
right now (it could still be possible, but I don't know how big a build change
that would require).

So taking a step back - I see that https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8313616
introduced the ability to dealing with `.a` files on AIX from within the
hotspot area. In that commit https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/15204/files I
see that there are references to a couple of `.a` files - for example
`libodm.a` and `libperfstat.a`. Are those `.a` expected to be present on
certain AIX systems? Perhaps your new test could use either of those in the
test? There was also a mention of `libclang.a` on AIX, previously in this
discussion. Maybe that could be used in the test?

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17945#issuecomment-2034865328