On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:10:29 GMT, Nizar Benalla <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This checker checks the values of the `@since` tag found in the documentation
> comment for an element against the release in which the element first
> appeared.
>
> Real since value of an API element is computed as the oldest release in which
> the given API element was introduced. That is:
> - for modules, classes and interfaces, the release in which the element with
> the given qualified name was introduced
> - for constructors, the release in which the constructor with the given VM
> descriptor was introduced
> - for methods and fields, the release in which the given method or field with
> the given VM descriptor became a member of its enclosing class or interface,
> whether direct or inherited
>
> Effective since value of an API element is computed as follows:
> - if the given element has a `@since` tag in its javadoc, it is used
> - in all other cases, return the effective since value of the enclosing
> element
>
> The since checker verifies that for every API element, the real since value
> and the effective since value are the same, and reports an error if they are
> not.
>
> Important note : We only check code written since `JDK 9` as the releases
> used to determine the expected value of `@since` tags are taken from the
> historical data built into `javac` which only goes back that far
>
> The intial comment at the beginning of `SinceChecker.java` holds more
> information into the program.
>
> I already have filed issues and fixed some wrong tags like in #18640, #18032,
> #18030, #18055, #18373, #18954, #18972.

Various comments inline.  Overall, a great start.
Consider adding more explanatory comments for the bigger items, like classes
and long/important methods. Imagine a future-person looking over your shoulder,
asking what the more important items do or are for.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 49:

> 47: import java.util.regex.Matcher;
> 48: import java.util.regex.Pattern;
> 49: import java.util.stream.Collectors;

The imports are somewhat unordered.   I recommend the follooing order

* `java.*` imports first,
* then `javax.*` imports
* then `com.sun.*` imports
* and finally the `jtreg` import.

And, alphabetically sorted in each group.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 52:

> 50:
> 51: /*
> 52: The `@since` checker works as a two-step process:

Insert an initial sentence or paragraph, such as the following:

This checker checks the values of the `@since` tag found in the documentation
comment for an element
against the release in which the element first appeared.

The source code containing the documentation comments is read from `src.zip` in
the release of
JDK used to run the test.  The releases used to determine the expected value of
`@since` tags
are taken from the historical data built into `javac`.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 79:

> 77: - When an element is still marked as preview, the `@since` should be the
> first JDK release where the element was added.
> 78: - If the element is no longer marked as preview, the `@since` should be
> the first JDK release where it was no longer preview.
> 79:

Add a comment about need for special treatment of early preview features.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 87:

> 85: public class SinceChecker {
> 86:     private final Map<String, Set<String>> LEGACY_PREVIEW_METHODS = new
> HashMap<>();
> 87:     private final Map<String, IntroducedIn> classDictionary = new
> HashMap<>();

See comment lower down about `class IntroducedIn`

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 116:

> 114:     }
> 115:
> 116:     private void processModuleRecord(ModuleElement moduleElement, String
> releaseVersion, JavacTask ct) {

for this method, and similarly named methods, the use of `Record` seems
confusing, if only because there do not seem to be any record classes being
processed or analyzed.   Consider dropping `Record` or changing it to
`Element`. Same for `analyzePackageRecord`, `analyzeClassRecord`.

Also, consider being consistent with `process` or analyze`.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 135:

> 133:     private void analyzeClassRecord(TypeElement te, String version,
> Types types, Elements elements) {
> 134:         Set<Modifier> classModifiers = te.getModifiers();
> 135:         if (!(classModifiers.contains(Modifier.PUBLIC) ||
> classModifiers.contains(Modifier.PROTECTED))) {

Insert comment:

/// JDK documentation only contains public and protected declarations

which is 99% true. (The serialization page can contain `private`
declarations...)

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 140:

> 138:         persistElement(te.getEnclosingElement(), te, types, version);
> 139:         elements.getAllMembers(te).stream()
> 140:                 .filter(element ->
> element.getModifiers().contains(Modifier.PUBLIC) ||
> element.getModifiers().contains(Modifier.PROTECTED))

Consider writing and using a predicate method:

boolean isDocumented(Element e) {
    var mods = e.getModifiers();
    return mods.contains(Modifier,.PUBLIC) || mods.contains(Modifier.PROTECTED);
}

You could then use that method in the obvious way for the class
declaration(line 134) and in a lambda as follows:

    .filter(this::isDocumented)

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 143:

> 141:                 .filter(element -> element.getKind().isField()
> 142:                         || element.getKind() == ElementKind.METHOD
> 143:                         || element.getKind() == ElementKind.CONSTRUCTOR)

Consider writing and using another predicate method,

    boolean isMember(Element e) {
        var k = e.getKind();
        return k.isField() || switch (k) {
            case CONSTRUCTOR, METHOD -> true;
            default -> false;
        };
     }

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 178:

> 176:     }
> 177:
> 178:     private void testThisModule(String moduleName) throws Exception {

The word `this` is a bit distracting/unnecessary here.  It's enough to say
`testModule(String moduleName)` although `checkModule(String moduleName)` would
be even better

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 190:

> 188:         if (!f.exists() && !f.isDirectory()) {
> 189:             throw new SkippedException("Skipping Test because src.zip
> wasn't found");
> 190:         }

For modern/new code I would recommend using `java.nio.file.Path` instead of
`java.io.File`.

I see you actually have a `Path` in `srcZip`, so use `Files.exists(srcZip)` and
`Files.isDirectory(srcZip)`

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 214:

> 212:                     }
> 213:                     if (!wrongTagsList.isEmpty()) {
> 214:                         throw new Exception(wrongTagsList.toString());

This looks like it might be the exception to end the test, right, and the
wrongTags could be long.
I'd suggest writing a heading to `System.err`,
then`wrongTagsList.forEach(System.err::println);` and then throw the exception
with a summary string, like `throw new Exception(wrongTagsList.size() + "
problems found");

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 223:

> 221:     private void processModuleCheck(ModuleElement moduleElement,
> JavacTask ct, Path packagePath, EffectiveSourceSinceHelper javadocHelper) {
> 222:         if (moduleElement == null) {
> 223:             wrongTagsList.add("Module element: was null because
> `elements.getModuleElement(moduleName)` returns null." +

This doesn't look like a "Wrong tag" so much as a general error message.

Consider this as a different paradigm -- instead of saving up strings in
`wrongTagsList`, consider having a method to report (and count) error messages
as you find them:

    private int errorCount;
    void error(String message) {
        System.err.println(message);
        errorCount++;
   }

then at the end of `testThisModule`, just check if `errorCount>0` to decide
whether to throw the exception.

Note, in this model, you need not have a `\n` at the end of every string
argument, the way you do for add strings added into `wrongTagsList`.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 274:

> 272:             try {
> 273:                 byte[] packageAsBytes = Files.readAllBytes(pkgInfo);
> 274:                 String packageContent = new String(packageAsBytes,
> StandardCharsets.UTF_8);

Easier to just use `Files.readString`

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 309:

> 307:                 .map(TypeElement.class::cast)
> 308:                 .forEach(nestedClass -> analyzeClassCheck(nestedClass,
> currentjdkVersion, javadocHelper, types, elementUtils));
> 309:     }

more possible applications of those utility predicate methods I mentioned
earlier.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 330:

> 328:                     mappedVersion.introducedStable;
> 329:         } catch (Exception e) {
> 330:             wrongTagsList.add("For element " + element + "mappedVersion"
> + mappedVersion + " is null" + e + "\n");

Put a space e or colon between `is null` and `e`

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 358:

> 356:     private void checkEquals(String sinceVersion, String mappedVersion,
> String id) {
> 357:         if (sinceVersion == null || mappedVersion == null) {
> 358:             wrongTagsList.add("For " + id + " NULL value for either
> mapped or real `@since` . mapped version is="

Here and elsewhere, instead of `"For " + name + ....`  consider using the
format `name + ":  " + ...` for the format of the messages

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 375:

> 373:         if (mappedVersion.equals("9")) {
> 374:             message = "For " + elementSimpleName +
> 375:                     " Wrong `@since` version " + sinceVersion + " But
> the element exists before JDK 10\n";

lower case "but"

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 421:

> 419:         public String introducedPreview;
> 420:         public String introducedStable;
> 421:     }

Suggest move this nearer the map at the top of the class -- either move this
class up, or those members down.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 423:

> 421:     }
> 422:
> 423:     //these were preview in before the introduction of the
> @PreviewFeature

Just curious: where do you find this information?

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 543:

> 541:     }
> 542:
> 543:     private final class EffectiveSourceSinceHelper implements
> AutoCloseable {

Consider putting a doc comment describing the purpose of this class. The name
hints at something useful, but is not specific enough by itself.

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 559:

> 557:                     fm.close();
> 558:                 } catch (IOException closeEx) {
> 559:                 }

Consider using `ex.addSuppressed(closeEx);` instead of just dropping the
exception

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/SinceChecker.java line 716:

> 714:         }
> 715:
> 716:         private static final class PatchModuleFileManager

provide a short doc comment describing the purpose/use of this class

test/jdk/tools/sincechecker/testjavabase/SinceChecker.java line 37:

> 35:
> 36: public class SinceChecker {
> 37: }

You don't need this class, do you?
The comment should be enough to run the validator

-------------

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18934#pullrequestreview-2025970944
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18934#discussion_r1578567066
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18934#discussion_r1578573782