On Thu, 30 May 2024 06:25:32 GMT, Tobias Hartmann <thartm...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Scott Gibbons has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Remove duplicate vm.compiler2.enabled
>
> Control question: Are we confident with this potentially going into JDK 23 or
> should we rather postpone to JDK 24? The fork is next week.

Thank you all for the comments.  @TobiHartmann I'm comfortable with this going
into JDK 23.  The code has been functionally stable for me for the past 2
months.  The recent churn centers primarily around restructuring the code for
readability and maintainability and ensuring protection against reading past
the end of strings.  Both Vlad (Volodymyr) and @sviswa7 have scoured the code
with me and together we have convinced ourselves that we've covered all the
bases.  Of course we may have missed something but my confidence is high.

The overall performance gain as reported by the StringIndexOf JMH averages ~7x
running on an e-core as compared with baseline on the same core.  It's skewed
somewhat towards massive gains for long (~2K) strings (avg 14.4x) and modest
gains for small-ish strings (avg ~1.8x).  I've measured up to 60x performance
improvement for some 2K UTF-16 indexOf operations.

Again, thank you all.  It's been a fun exercise and I've learned a lot.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16753#issuecomment-2139569361