> I have implemented the Zimmermann's square root algorithm, available in works
> [here](https://inria.hal.science/inria-00072854/en/) and
> [here](https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220532560_A_proof_of_GMP_square_root).
>
> The algorithm is proved to be asymptotically faster than the Newton's Method,
> even for small numbers. To get an idea of how much the Newton's Method is
> slow,  consult my article [here](https://arxiv.org/abs/2406.07751), in which
> I compare Newton's Method with a version of classical square root algorithm
> that I implemented. After implementing Zimmermann's algorithm, it turns out
> that it is faster than my algorithm even for small numbers.

fabioromano1 has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge
or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in
by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 29 additional commits since the
last revision:

 - Inserted author
 - Merge branch 'openjdk:master' into patchSqrt
 - Merge branch 'openjdk:master' into patchSqrt
 - An optimization
 - Merge branch 'patchSqrt' of https://github.com/fabioromano1/jdk into
patchSqrt
 - Merge branch 'openjdk:master' into patchSqrt
 - An optimization
 - An optimization
 - Optimized memory usage of square root algorithm
 - An optimization
 - ... and 19 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/4ba48068...ddd6d736

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19710/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19710/files/d95f9e7f..ddd6d736

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=19710&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=19710&range=00-01

  Stats: 18281 lines in 220 files changed: 12473 ins; 4295 del; 1513 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/19710/head:pull/19710