Pete Wyckoff wrote:
It has come a long way since 0.18 and facebook keeps our (0.17) dfs mounted via
fuse and uses that for some operations.

There have recently been some problems with fuse-dfs when used in a
multithreaded environment, but those have been fixed in 0.18.2 and 0.19. (do
not use 0.18 or 0.18.1)

The current (known) issues are:

  2. When directories have 10s of thousands of files, performance can be very
poor.

I've known other filesystems to top out at 64k-1 files per directory, even if they don't slow down. It's good for a portable application to keep the #of files/directory low by having two levels of directory for storing files -just use a hash operation to determine which dir to store a specific file in.