+1 but since hadoop deals well with such directories currently, fuse-dfs will
basically lock up on such directories - this is because ls -color=blah causes a
stat on every file in a directory.  There is a JIRA open for this but it is a
pretty rare case although it has happened to me at facebook.

-- pete

>It's good for a portable application to
keep the #of files/directory low by having two levels of directory for
storing files -just use a hash operation to determine which dir to store
a specific file in.

On 11/3/08 4:00 AM, "Steve Loughran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> It has come a long way since 0.18 and facebook keeps our (0.17) dfs mounted
> via fuse and uses that for some operations.
>
> There have recently been some problems with fuse-dfs when used in a
> multithreaded environment, but those have been fixed in 0.18.2 and 0.19. (do
> not use 0.18 or 0.18.1)
>
> The current (known) issues are:

>   2. When directories have 10s of thousands of files, performance can be very
> poor.

I've known other filesystems to top out at 64k-1 files per directory,
even if they don't slow down. It's good for a portable application to