i think this maybe not relatived to whether you are using psuedo-distributed
mode or truely distributed mode.

the speed not only relatived to the number of mapper and reducer count but
also relatived to the problem size and problem type.

 A simple example is the word count ,assume we only have 1 line in the
sample.txt. Then 1 mapper will be enouth, addon's mapper has no usage for
the whole process but still causing process time for create and destroy
mapper.

--
http://daily.appspot.com/food/