I'm trying to make sense of the results, but running it like this working at
least a little better.

map4  reduce1
map4 reduce2
map4 reduce4
map4 reduce8

I tried keeping the reduces constant, while varying the maps.. this results
in an increase of running time.

When I tried keeping the maps constant, and varying the reduces, I got
something better, though when it hit something like map4 reduce4, the
running time shoots up, even though previously it had been decreasing.

This has been very helpful... though I am very curious: Is the reason one
worked better than the other a function of the input only? Or what about
pseudo-distibuted mode makes one way work better than the other?

Thanks again!

-SM