a couple of years back we did a lot of experimentation between sun's vm and jrocket. We had initially assumed that jrocket was going to scream since thats what the press were saying. In short, what we discovered was that certain jdk library usage was a little bit faster with jrocket, but for core vm performance such as synchronization, primitive operations the sun vm out performed. We were not taking account of startup time, just raw code execution. As I said, this was a couple of years back so things may of changed.